A recipe scrapbook safeguards fragile original cards, preserving handwritten notes along with ancient spills and spatters. Photos of family gatherings at the table -- and stove -- complete the story. On the following pages are five steps to organizing cherished old recipe cards as well as recent favourites.
INTRODUCTION AND MATERIALS
- Blank book with acid-free pages
- Glassine envelopes
- Adhesive tape
- Metal straightedge
- Cutting mat
- Utility knife
Choose a blank book with acid-free pages to hold valuable original recipe cards, protecting them like documents in a scrapbook.
With a pencil, mark horizontal lines for the pocket openings. Centre them on the page, and space them so that the top of one card won't overlap the one above it. Make the bottom slot at least as far from the bottom of the page as the height of the recipe card.
- Using a metal straightedge and a self-sealing mat to protect the pages underneath, cut slots with a utility knife.
- Cut each envelope so the back side is equal to the recipe card, and the front is 1 inch shorter than the card.
- Starting with the lowest slot on the page, line up the front top edge of an envelope with the slot; glue in place. Fasten the back side above the slot, and then proceed with the next envelope. Once the envelopes are in place, use adhesive to affix the envelopes to one another. Insert recipe cards through slots.
- To install a photo, place it on the page, and mark each corner lightly with a pencil. Cut diagonal 1/4-inch slits about 1/4 inch from each corner; insert corners of photos into slits.
Aside from creating this great scrapbook you can also create it digitally. You can include some great shabby chic digital designs and free paper designs that you can download and use to make it even more unique.
Whichever way you choose, traditionally or digitally you will be sure to wow your close ones with this great idea. Include fun recipes, serious recipes, and holiday recipes and add cute family pictures from when you all enjoyed these feasts together.
Include fun pictures of kitchen disasters which are sure to have everyone rolling on the floor in laughter. Use colours, photos, embellishments and you will have a wonderful family recipe book on your hands to pass down throughout the generations.
#recipebook #familyscrapbook #supplies #steps #digitalscrapbook #traditionalscrapbook