These are really cute to make and can be gifted to a friend or family member or just to make for you. They are that cute that you won’t even want to put your cup of coffee down and cover them up! We are going to guide you on the best chalkboard patterns to use, what you need to make these cute coasters and how to make them.
Which Chalkboard Patterns to Choose
There are two different collections with chalkboard patterns we would suggest for this project. The first one is the Chalkboard Patterns Collection which has 12 different papers in the collection including striped lines, ornate decorative patterns, polka dots, crisscross patterns and more. The other collection is the Sponge Trails Chalkboard Collection which also has 12 different patterned papers but this time including chevron patterns, heart patterns, swirling lines, flowers and more. The first collection is more for if you wanted to go for a vintage look while the second is more for if you want to create something fun.
What You Will Need to Make the Chalkboard Patterns Coasters
You will need the following items in order to be able to make these super cute chalkboard coasters:
- Tiles – You can buy these from the local home depot store for a cheap price. They will be the foundation to which we will be making the coasters.
- Spray Paint – You will need spray paint to colour the tiles in whatever colours you wish to do to suit the theme of the room they will be going in.
- Chalkboard Patterns – Choose which chalkboard papers you want to use for your coasters and download them. You can get the two collections mentioned earlier on the digitalpapershop.com website.
- Felt Circle Pads – You will need these so the surfaces of table tops won’t get scratched when setting your coasters down.
How to Make the Chalkboard Patterns Coasters
Now that you have everything you need and you have chosen which chalkboard patterns you are going to use, it is time to start making them.
- First of all, lay the tiles on an old bed sheet and spray paint each one on both sides with your chosen colours. We believe the colours white, grey, blue and black work well with the chalkboard.
- While the paint is drying, download and print the chalkboard paper to cut into squares. Take off about 4 cm all around from the tile measurements so the spray paint will act as the border for the coasters.
- Use Mod Podge to glue down the chalkboard paper to the centre of each tile and add another coat on top of the paper.
- Once everything is dry, glue down four felt circle pads to the bottom of the coaters, just inside of the corners.
- You now have your cute chalkboard coasters!
Other Ideas for the Coasters
Instead of using chalkboard patterns for the centre of the coaster, you could use a plain dusty chalkboard background and write the name of each person in your family on each coaster to add a personal touch to the coasters.